Monday, April 26, 2010

The Apprentice, my brother from another mother.

Monday, April 26, 2010
On Thursday, April 22nd, 2010 at 3 PM, I was greeted with the news that I had a new brother from my fathers second wife, one Tameem Hisham Jomah.
At 7PM, I was at the hospital, looking into the eyes of a being that shared a shocking resemblance to what I once was.

A small, froglike creature with an overbite, like mine.
His eyes curious and brown, semi-slit, like mine.
He took my glasses and broke them, straight to the point, initiative, like mine.


"Hark! New meat!" I laughed to myself as he threw my glasses aside and yawned,

"I shall make right in this child what went wrong with the others (excluding myself)

I shall teach him that thought comes from the brain and by no means the heart,

I shall edify that companionship is a convenience and not a necessity,

I shall obliterate in him the "What ifs" and embolden the "What nows",

I shall solidify that pain, pleasure, anger, happiness, love and hate are all physiological responses derived from the same chemical source, that they are energies and like any energy they can be utilized to ones destruction or development,

I shall impel him to have no role models, that he should look up to no one,

I shall instill that goals are self limiting finish lines for those who cannot go beyond them,

I shall instruct him to speak his mind, even if it gets him shot, that I would rather he hold his own than his tongue,

I shall implore that he owes no one anything and to ensure everyone owes him everything,

I shall finalize that when all of it is said and done and it all comes crashing down, all he will ever have is himself and that is all he will ever need."

I gave him a smile and a nod as I placed him in his mothers arms, one last glance and I left the room.

He's going to be okay, this one.

"The resemblance is uncanny, Allah yistur" -Dr. Hisham Jomah

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket. Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Blogger Templates